Monday, February 3, 2014

Sleep Training is Tiring

Desmond has a preference, like most babies, of sleeping on someone rather than being out down. The next best thing being sleeping in one of his seats at an incline. He's also, I believe, started to learn that crying gets him attention. This is a very bad combination when you are trying to train your baby to sleep in his 'crib'. (We have a Pack n play instead of a crib since we'll be moving sooner than later.)

Last night was the first night in our 3-day trial experiment of transitioning the bub from his Rock n Play or Bouncer seat to his crib. Why 3 days? Because if we fail, I don't think I'll be functioning very well after 3 sleepless nights and I'm willing to fold for a good night sleep. Can always try again, right! 

It was a sleepless night to say the least...for both of us. He'd go down for 10-30 mins, realize he's no longer being held and wail. Pick him up, and he'd settle down near immediately. Rinse and repeat. Now he's so tired he can't even nap. 

He does look so adorable before he wakes up though!

Wish us luck (and energy)! So far the score is Desmond 1, parents 0. 


5 comments:

  1. Have you tried putting something with a "heartbeat" sound in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he has about 4 white noise machines, between our phones and other devices, throughout the house to help calm him down. Works great...when he's being held. Hit or miss when he's laying down :/

      I put him down for a nap in there and got 30 mins so I think thats progress, sorta.

      Delete
  2. What really worked well for us with N is a book: Sleep Easy Sleep Solution, written by two lady social workers, I believe. http://www.amazon.com/The-Sleepeasy-Solution-Exhausted-Parents/dp/0757305601

    It's a reasonable cry-it-out approach and their methods and ideas really make sense. You just MUST be persistent and do it exactly as they say, and it could take 3-5 nights but it will be worth it for all those other sleep-full nights. Praying for you, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll look into it and let you know how it goes :)

      Delete
  3. I believe in sleep training because I KNOW it works. But Desmond is too young. I know you are just trying to get him used to his pack n play which is a good idea, but expect his sleep to be pretty unpredictable for a while. If he likes the rock n play, then let it be. I know lots of babies that love it and it is hard to "wean them off", but just get sleep when you can. I think 6 months is a good mark for real sleep training. Even then their sleep will be disrrupted by so many things (teething, illness, hunger, growth spurts, developmental milestones etc...). I swaddled Izzy for a LONG time... Do whatever works for you. And in my book anything that gives YOU more sleep.

    ReplyDelete